Information for parents with kids aged 9 to 14 years
What impact will alcohol have on the lives of your kids?
Attitudes that determine kids’ behaviour during adolescence and early adulthood are formed during their younger years. Therefore it’s important to help create a positive future and your attitude towards your kids and alcohol by setting a good example and providing the best possible environment.
Alcohol plays a prominent role in Australian culture and is enjoyed in most homes, as well as at social functions and community events. Children look to their adult role models as examples of how they will think and behave in the future.
In this section, parents will find information and advice about the issue of alcohol and ways to influence their children’s behaviour and attitudes towards drinking in the future.
- Kids and alcohol don’t mix
- How your alcohol consumption can affect your children
- Should I let my child try my drink?
- Encouraging family and friends to be great role models
- Setting boundaries about alcohol
- How your pre-teen’s attitudes to alcohol can be influenced
- What to do if other parents have different attitudes to alcohol
- Supporting those who choose not to drink alcohol
- What to do when your child has come home drunk